Sunday, March 29, 2009

inspiration stikes at 61st and madison



Yesterday, I had the privilege of spending the most lovely, blissful 4 hours shopping at Barney's in New York. I went with the intent of buying a dress and leaving right after, but after I found my dress (more on that later) I found myself wandering aimlessly through the 9 floors of the store.
I don't know whether it was the impeccable clothes, the excess of beautiful people, or just the quiet pride of the whole place, but I felt as if I was on a different planet (a eutopia, if you will). The whole store was so quiet, orderly, and perfect. I walked silently for the whole time, gazing at racks upon racks of Lanvin, ChloƩ, Prada, Chanel, Armani, etc, and was able to lose myself in the clothes in a way I haven't been able to lose myself in a very long time. And although the clothes were impeccable, I think the best part of the day was that I was reminded of the reason I love fashion so much. The reason, the real reason, that was buried in the back of my mind under my daily musings of 'who did the best romper this season', or 'who's couture gown was too elaborate for these economic times'. Spending a day in Barney's reminded me that yes, most fashion is beautiful and yes, the industry is glamorous, but it's also so much more than what meets the eye.
It allows people to transform.
It really hit me when I was standing next to a 6'2 blonde supermodel-type-girl, and we were both silently staring at this Laila Azhar dress. Now I know this is a blog (so if you are reading this you probably don't know me) but just to give you an idea, I'm a 5'5, size 6, teenage girl from the Princeton area. Needless to say, I do not look like a supermodel, and I certainly don't have much in common with many of them. But in that moment, me and this stunning girl both wanted to be transformed into That Girl in the Laila Azhar dress. It was such a reminder that fashion is for anyone and everyone with an imagination, that core of it is something no price tag can limit or magazine can dictate. And so I'd like to thank Barney's for reminding me of why I love this industry, and why I want to do this for the rest of my life. I want to be surrounded with people who have imaginations just as big as I do, and who can appreciate these wearable pieces of artwork; artwork that inspires people to be whoever they want to be. Because that, ladies and gentlemen, is a beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment